Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Commitment Issues

The check went out in today's mail to Sportsmobile for the deposit on a Sprinter. I tried negotiating with the local Mercedes-Benz dealer. Though initially their price was higher, I eventually got them down to a bit less than Sportsmobile's price, but that difference wasn't enough for me to accept the risk that some subtle thing on the options list wouldn't meet Sportsmobile's requirements. So, I'm paying a small premium for peace of mind. Also, the MB dealer couldn't guarantee that I'd get swivel seats in the cab - it seems that's a fleet-only option. The deposit itself is small, I pay the balance when Sportsmobile receives the van, between three to five months from now ( it comes special-ordered from Germany ). Until recently, I never expected or aspired to own a Mercedes-Benz, but I'm committed to that now.

To be specific,  I'm getting the 170" wheelbase, 22' 9" total length, high roof Sprinter cargo van, what Sportsmobile calls the Extended Body (EB). I've specified the 6-cylinder engine (4-cylinder is standard), and single rear wheels. Among the options I've specified are swivel cabin seats, a roof rack, a heavy duty suspension, a back-up camera, and a rear trailer hitch. I'm also getting the Sportsmobile recommended "Options Package A" which includes things such as cruise control, an overhead console, and a tinted windshield.

I'm also getting idle control. Distinct from cruise control, this allows adjustment of the engine idle speed when the transmission is in park. I've chosen this in lieu of getting an electrical generator. The Sprinter alternator puts out 200 Amps if the engine is revving high enough. This current can recharge my batteries for lighting, refrigeration, and appliances when I'm away from an outlet hook-up. The only thing the alternator won't run indefinitely is the roof-top air conditioner. I'm going to wait a few months on the road to see if I really need a generator. If I do, I'll buy a small, portable one. However, I've read that the van's in-dash air conditioner does a good job of cooling the van if the engine is in high idle. Even in high idle, the Sprinter engine is very quiet, probably quieter than some campground generators I've heard.

A somewhat pricey option is what Mercedes calls the "Active Safety Plus Package", but I think it's worth every penny. It includes the latest driving safety technology including warning you when a vehicle is in your blind spot, warning you if you begin to drift out of your lane, and applying the brakes if you're approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. I don't intend to ever drive when I'm overly tired or when the weather conditions are truly adverse, but it's better to be safe than sorry. One thing I regret is that I can't get the "Cross-wind Assist" that will only become available on next year's model. I've heard varying reports on whether that feature can be retrofitted, but I intend to look into it.

Finally, the color I've chosen is Brilliant Silver Metallic, also an extra-cost option. Here's a photo from an earlier post of a Sprinter done in that color:


It's not a color that you see on many commercial vans, but it seems to be used in almost all promotional advertising for the Sprinter. There are other colors offered that I like almost as much, but they are darker shades that I would expect to get hotter in the sun.

In all, the options added over 20% to the base price of the Sprinter. But this isn't some weekend-use "toy", this will be my home for long stretches of time. One impulse driving my choice to go on the road is to simplify my life, have just a few really nice things rather that a lot of clutter. I expect the Sprinter I've ordered to be one of the nicest things I've ever owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment