Sunday, August 3, 2014

Contender

On a recent trip to Fresno, I came across a type of motorhome for sale I hadn't previously seen. It had several appealing features, so I took a quick look around inside and liked what I saw. I didn't take it too seriously because I figured it was well out of my price range (there was no price sticker on it and no one around to answer an inquiry). When I got to an internet connection to do some research, I found out it is actually reasonably priced and offers a lot of amenities for the money. In fact, of all the alternatives to the Sportsmobile (SMB) I've chosen, I'd say this new model is, for my needs and tastes, its strongest competition. It's been a while since I've done a motorhome review, but this one deserves a closer look.

Alright, I have to clear the air right up front: I'm not changing my mind about buying the Sportsmobile. I already paid more than half its total cost when I bought the Mercedes van to be converted. That van is well into the conversion process, and I wouldn't consider backing out at this time. But it is interesting to wonder if I would have made the same choice if I'd known about this new contender before I chose the SMB. And regardless of whether it would be the best motorhome for me, there may be a reader for whom it's the perfect choice.

So, what exactly am I talking about? It's the Thor Vegas 24.1 model. There's also an Axis model that appears to be identical in every respect except for the positioning of the headlights. Both Vegas and Axis also offer a 25.1 model, which is larger than I need. Here's a photo of the Vegas 24.1:

The aesthetics may not be to everyone's taste, but I like them just fine, though I'll never be a fan of the swoopy graphics sported by nearly all RVs. It's the size of a Class B or a small Class C motorhome, but looks like a Class A. Thor refuses to give it any of those appellations, instead inventing a new category they call the Recreational Utility Vehicle (RUV). The most obvious feature of the Vegas is its enormous windshield. This addresses a concern I have about all Class B and Class C motorhomes. (I never considered a Class A as they're far too large for my needs.) I imagine I'll be driving through many mountain passes in my travels and it'd be nice to see all the scenery around me. The large side windows on the cab also contribute to the view and the feeling of openness. The total length of the Vegas is 25' 6", which is beyond the 24' limit I've been trying to keep, but may be acceptable.  Before moving inside, notice that there are numerous exterior storage holds, including one at the rear that runs the entire width of the chassis:


There's even an optional 32" exterior TV that I'd be tempted to get.


The floor plan  has many nice features as well:


The interior of the coach is well laid out and decorated:


(The best photos available are of the Axis model, but the Vegas is identical.) There's a pair of twin beds at the back that can be converted into a very spacious king. The slide-out couch also converts into a bed that can sleep two, and there's a one-person bunk bed above the cab seats that lowers electrically when you need it. That's accommodations for 5, which is unusual in a coach this size. I'm not a fan of slide-outs, it's true, but as long as the couch can still be used with the slide in, I'll let it pass. Another feature I like is that the bi-fold door on the bathroom is designed to latch across the aisle, separating the bathroom, closet and rear beds from the rest of the coach when some privacy is needed. The cab area is innovative, too. There's enough room between the seats for a coffee table, which is the only table I'd need most of the time:


and a clever flip-out workstation on the passenger side:


Other things I like about the Vegas are that it has several times the fresh water, gray water, black water, and LP gas capacity of the Class B Sprinter that I'm getting. It also comes standard with a 4000 Watt generator. You can see why I initially thought the Vegas would be out of my price range, but surprisingly, new ones are fairly easy to find for $80K, and if you're willing to wait for good sale, they can be had for $70K. That's a lot of RV for the money.

There have to be some negatives, right? Well there are, and the biggest one is that the reported (gasoline) fuel consumption is about 10 mpg. Ouch! Surprisingly low for a 25' RV. Another issue is one that I've raised in several of my earlier RV reviews: the small number and size of windows. That's a strange objection to raise against the Vegas with its enormous windshield and cab windows, but if you're sitting on the couch, you're not seeing much beyond the interior of the coach. There's a tiny window over the sink, and another one in the entry door; if the weather permits leaving the door open, the situation improves a bit. Here's what I'm talking about:


What's happening out at the campsite? I can't see. One final gripe is that the Vegas doesn't win any points for the size of its shower:


So, here's the $64,000 dollar question (a reference to the old quiz show, not the price of the RV): if I'd known about the Vegas when I was choosing a motorhome, would I have selected it over the SMB I'm getting? I have to say, I honestly don't know; it's a close call. But, that's very different than saying I regret my choice. Every time a fill up costs me $100 instead of $200 for the same miles traveled, I'll smile. Every time I enjoy the almost uninterrupted 360 degree view from anywhere inside my RV, I'll be glad I made the choice I did. And, if you've been following this blog, you've seen the fun I've had getting to design nearly every aspect of my motorhome's interior. So, no regrets at all.


It will be at least three weeks before my schedule permits another visit to see the progress on my van. I might get some emails from SMB with pictures before that, and I'll be sure to share them if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment