Thursday, September 18, 2014

Date Certain

So... I talked to Sportsmobile this morning and September 25th is confirmed as the pickup date for my motorhome! I'm flying up to Fresno that morning. I'll check everything out - and you better believe I've got a long list. There's a few last minute touches that I'll be present to make sure are done just the way I want them. I'll drive back down to San Diego that evening. A few days for loading in my possessions, and then the fun begins. That's the big news. There are a few more details if you care to read more

If the delivery date had been delayed again, that would have pretty much canceled my plans to make my first trip a loop north into Canada. Even so, I'm a little intimidated that Calgary has already had its first snowfall, and it was quite a blizzard. But I'm going to hope that was just a fluke. Another potential showstopper is that my RV will still have temporary license plates when I arrive at the Canadian border. Will they let me in? I called Canadian customs today, and that won't be a problem.

I've been busy the last couple weeks making sure I've got everything I'll need for the trip. The free 2-day delivery with Amazon Prime has come in real handy. I realized one important choice I hadn't made was the bike rack I'll use for my electric bike. The issue is that I need one that will get out of the way when I want to open the rear doors on the van. There are plenty of bike racks that fold down to get out of the way of a hatchback, but those wouldn't do - plus you have to take the bike(s) off the rack before folding. There are a few designs that swing off to the side, but those are pricey and heavy. I'd just about resigned myself to one of those when I found the Heininger GlideAway2 that uses a unique ( I believe ) pantograph mechanism that is perfect for my application. Here's a photo and a diagram of how it works:



It's been delivered, and I'm very impressed with its sturdy construction.

I don't expect much in the way of news before I pick up the RV, but look for a post highlighting the finished product on the 26th!


No comments:

Post a Comment