Thursday, December 4, 2014

SPOT On

I'm working on the promised review of my motorhome, but there's a new development I wanted to share immediately. I planned to have a SPOT device with me from the beginning of my travels, but after I'd tested it once at home, it refused to even power on when I hit the road. Now I've received the replacement SPOT and it appears to be working. If you look below my retirement card at the right, there's a new "View Map" link. Clicking on this takes you to the SPOT website that tracks my travels.

The idea behind the SPOT is that it determines your location using GPS satellites and then sends that back to SPOT headquarters via a different satellite when you tell it to do so. It works even when there is no cell phone coverage. Here's a picture of the SPOT Gen 3 that I've got, which will help with the explanation:


As you can see, it's quite a compact device. Let's start with the three black buttons at the bottom, beginning on the right with "OK". Whenever you press (and hold for a few seconds) on this button, SPOT transmits your current location. This is intended as a simple way to check in and say "I'm okay". The word balloon button on the left can be programmed (through your computer) with a custom message that is sent when pressed. I'm thinking of making mine simply: Point of interest. The middle button is a boot imprint; when you press this one, SPOT begins transmitting your location every ten minutes. This way, friends can have a near real time view of where you are. I intend to use this one when I drive off the beaten track or am out hiking on foot. Included in the yearly SPOT service fee, the position of all your messages is plotted on a web-viewable map. For me, the link is here.

The black band on SPOT shows clasping hands on the left and S.O.S. on the right. Neither of these is a button per se, but are covers that can be lifted to access the button beneath. You don't want to press either of these buttons by accident. The S.O.S. button should only be used if you're injured, very sick, or stranded in dire circumstances. Again, the yearly SPOT fee covers dispatching immediate help regardless of where you are. However, the cost of the rescue services is up to you to cover. The clasping hands are to indicate that you need help but are not in a life-threatening situation; a mechanical breakdown in the middle of nowhere would be a likely scenario. The SPOT service does not react, but your coordinates and a generic "Help!" message are emailed and cell phone-texted to a list of contacts you provide.


I know I'll feel more secure having a SPOT with me, and I hope my family, friends, and blog readers will enjoy keeping up with my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment