Saturday, May 9, 2015

It's a Small World, After All - Feb 4, 2015

Epcot. I’d been there with my wife and infant daughter about twenty-five years ago, but not since. I figured it was time to see it again. As for the Magic Kingdom, I’d been to Disneyland in California several times and that was a close enough substitute. Animal Adventure I wouldn’t mind seeing - mainly for the animatronic dinosaurs people rave about - but that could wait. With a cousin and uncle in the area, I’d be returning before long. Epcot was more than enough to absorb for one visit.

If you’re going to Disney World, you’re going to drop some cash, that’s just a fact of life. I decided not to pinch pennies and reserved a space at the associated Fort Wilderness RV park. Yes, it was more than twice what I’d spent on any RV park since my trip began, but it was gorgeous:


and there was a free shuttle to Epcot, which relieved me of the hassle and expense of parking. When I opened the utility box to plug in, I got a couple little surprises:


Do you see them, near the upper left corner of the box?

I pulled in Monday evening, and Tuesday morning I got to the park just a few minutes before opening. So had many others, but for the first couple hours, the park seemed nearly empty. Of course, the big “Golfball” greets you as you enter Epcot:


Later in the day, I took the ride that’s inside the sphere. By using the Disney app on my smartphone (yes, while I was biding time in Sarasota, I traded in my seven-year-old flip phone for a shiny new smartphone), I was able to reserve a spot on popular rides in the park, so I never had a significant wait. The ride is about the history of mankind, and then extends into the future. It’s quite tame, but I got a kick from the fact that they take your photo near the start of the ride and then you show up in scenes from the future:



I thought it was funny that the blue cap I was wearing got cropped out of the photos.

The “front” part of the park is activities and rides, the rear is the World Showcase - more on that later. I definitely wanted to try the Mission Space ride:


and my friend Mark had recommended the orange ticket - not for the weak of stomach. It’s a simulation of a trip to Mars, and I have to say it’s the most realistic recreationof the G-forces involved that I’ve ever experienced. Great ride! I did get off a little woozy because the G-forces come - unbeknownst to the riders - from being spun in a centrifuge. But it was worth it. I was glad to wait in a short line for the neighboring Universe of Energy exhibit while my stomach settled:


The entire building is covered in mirrors and I took a picture of our line reflected off an overhang:


Can you pick me out? The ride itself… well, it’s dated. If you’re short on time, this is one you could skip.

Wandering around, the sheer beauty of the place began to soak in:





That last photo is the reverse waterfall: the jets of water flow from the bottom to the top of the wall.

Even though it’s Epcot, not the Magic Kingdom, there are plenty of Disney characters about.  Alice in Wonderland:


Mary Poppins:


Belle:


and Snow White:


As I said earlier, the back part of the park, arranged around the shore of a lake, is the World Showcase, a depiction of countries from around the world. I like that the workers in each country’s area are natives of that country, so you can hear authentic accents. What follows is a tour counter-clockwise around the lake.
Canada:


Log rolling:


England:




France:





Morocco:






A Moroccan music troupe:


I ate lunch at the Moroccan exhibit and really enjoyed the food. I was so engrossed in the Moroccan exhibit, I almost didn’t notice the enormous swan sculptures on the hotel outside the park:


Japan:



The building above is where I would later have dinner (again, reserved using the Disney app). It was Teppanyaki style - cooked right in front of you - and delicious.


When I returned later for dinner, I took a similar shot. Not a good photo, but I like how the Epcot Ball lights up:


The American exhibit is rather understated, probably intentionally:


Italy:





A performance of twirling flags and throwing them high into the air was entertaining:



Germany:



China:



I thought the Chinese exhibit was the most substantial, with a reproduction of the famous terra cotta army:




Norway:





Mexico:




I spent the entire day at the park, from opening to closing. The pedometer in my smart phone said I walked eleven miles. In review, I want to mention that Canada, France, and China have particularly good 360 degree wrap-around travelogues that are well worth the time. 

A day at Disney never ends without a fireworks display:




The centerpiece of the show is an illuminated globe:





Eventually, the globe peels open, reveialing flames within:






Whew! Was I ever glad I could just catch the shuttle back to my RV and fall into bed.

Next on my list was the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. I wasn’t expecting much of a thrill compared to Epcot, but I was wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment